Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Parlez-vous anglais?

This is the French phrase I utter the most after Bonjour. :)
While some people seem to speak at least a few words of English , navigating Paris only knowing about 10 phrases has been interesting to say the least.

So here's a run down of what I've been up to.

Sunday:
Ate breakfast at the hostel (consisting of granola, a croissant, and a baguette.... um the French love their carbs!) then adventured the Metro again to head to the Notre Dame. It was a bit easier this time to figure out where I was going- but I still like the London tube better. Walked through the cathedral, but didn't get to see all of it because there was a service going on. I was going to go to the top, but there was an hour and a half line and I really didn't feel like waiting for it. So instead I walked back to the hostel. It didn't look very far on the map, but it ended up taking over an hour. But it was nice to see different neighborhoods in Paris. I got to talk to my family for the first time which was nice- but the wifi at that hostel sucked and so we had to talk on my cell. (Hello phone charges!) I went to bed early but was woken up at 2am when some people showed up for the empty beds. :(
Monday:
In the morning I headed to the Lourve and spent about 4 hours there. I spent most of my time looking at the paintings- especially the Italian and French. I really enjoyed the Botticelli and Raphel paintings, and of course saw the Mona Lisa.
Afterwards, I went the the little shopping center right next to the Lourve, saw a free concert at the Apple store while I charged my ipod, and then walked the Jadin Des Tuileries which was pretty. (Although a lot less trees than London parks). From there I walked up the Avenue Des Champs Elysees, which is a HUGE shopping street. I stopped at the flagship store of Louis Vuitton (drool!) and then headed to the Arc de Triomphe. There I climbed the super winding staircase to the top and saw wonderful views of Paris.

Today (Tuesday):
I had to change hostels and spent all morning doing that as I accidentally read the Metro map wrong and ended up spending an hour+ riding trains. Yay me. :) This afternoon I went to the Musee d Orsay and saw a bunch of impressionist paintings including Monet, Manet, Degas, and Renoir. <3 This is my favorite type of art and so it made me so happy to see such famous paintings in person. I then went for another random walk down city streets and got a yummy crepe with Nutella in it. :) Tonight I'm debating heading to the Eiffel Tower before the sun goes down- but weather hasn't been great so we'll see. I need to do laundry as well so that may end up being my fun evening. LOL.

I have a ton of pictures to post, but I can't figure out how to upload them on the French computers. I'll have to try it via wifi on my itouch. Worse case scenario I can add them in Zurich- they should have computers in English.

Well I better go- there is a long line for the computers here at the hostel.
<3,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment