Sunday, July 17, 2011

Art, Fireworks, and Trains

Wow, I have a lot to update- didn't plan on the lack of good computer time at my second hostel in Paris, and now I am typing on a German computer here in Switzerland which is making it really difficult to type. So I will do a very quick run down of my last few days in Paris, and then update more when I get to Vienna and have access to my friend Andy's computer tomorrow night or Tuesday morning.

Tuesday night I didn't end up going to the Effiel Tower, but I did do laundry. That was an experience and very expensive!
Wednesday it was rainy again which was annoying. But I went to the Museè de Orangerie where the Monet lilly paintings are. It was absolutely magical. I spent most of the morning there. Then I went on a 2 plus hour search for some leggings because it was so cold. Shopping in Paris is a bit overwhelming and they don't carry much for tall people so it was an adventure!
Thursday was Bastille Day. I spent the morning- early afternoon at the Effiel Tower. Wow. That was an experience. It was one of those moments that took my breath away. I then wandered around and spent an hour or so at a cafè reading and eating yummy sweets. (best of my life by far... and this is why I could not live in Paris- i would get fat!) Then in the evening around 9 two of my dorm mates and I went and bought wine and snacks and headed to the gardens surrounding the Effiel Tower and had a picnic while waiting for the fireworks. There had to be at least five thousand people there if not more all around the tower on both sides of the river. It took us forever to walk through the streets because they were so full of people. We ended up with a great view however and that night was definitely the highlight of my Paris trip. Here is a picture of the fireworks.

Friday was a bit of an ucky day for me- spent the morning dealing with the pharmacies trying to get some cold medication and got really frustrated. But the afternoon was more fun and I got to do some more touring and saw some neat stuff.

Saturday I got up super early and caught my train to Zurich. It took about 6 hours because I had to get a connection through Geneva. The Swiss train was a double decker which was neat. When I got in I walked around the Old City for a bit and had a dinner of cheese fondue. It was totally out of my comfort zone but I figured I had to try it. I was pleasenty surprised... although I probably would not get it again. :) Then I spent some time in the hostel bar before bed.

Today it is rainy and ucky and most of the shops are closed here which is making it difficult to do really anything touristy. There is one museum that is open that I might go to. Other than that I'll just play it by ear.

- Em

No comments:

Post a Comment